This tour is geared for LDS travelers who would like to learn a great deal more about the spectacular Maya ruins of the Yucatan Peninsula.
Tour length: 5 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Sites of interest: Becan, Campeche
Public Tours: Minimum 4 people required for tour.
Private Tours: Minimum 2 adults required to book.
- Public Tour Rates
- Adult (12+)
- Young Child (under 11)
- Private Tour Rates
- Two Adults (12+)
- Young Child (under 11)
Experience all of Becan on this immersive tour
Immerse yourself in history at one of the most unusual Maya ruin sites. Becan is a Maya archeological site located in the Mexican state of Campeche. It is noteworthy for being surrounded by a ditch as mentioned in Alma 53:4; it is the only one in the Mayan region. For some investigators, it is a testimony to the continuous war activities between Becan and other cities in the region. For others, it represents a clear division between social classes, since the inner area is made up of structures built as architectural monuments reserved for the elite.
Becan can be accessed through seven different entrances: three to the north, one to the west, two to the south, and one to the east, the latter of which is the current entrance to the site. Outside the area surrounded by the moat, there are many minor structures that served as residences, grain storage, sanctuaries, and farming terraces, all of which were used by the bulk of the population in order to sustain the ruling dynasty of Becan.
The site is academically classified by researchers as the regional capital of one of the most important architectural areas in Campeche, which is the region known as Rio Bec. Don’t miss out on this incredible excursion to explore the history and mystery of this world-famous site.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
Please don’t forget these important recommendations:
- Comfy, light-colored clothes
- Comfortable shoes (preferably sneakers)
- Sunscreen (preferably biodegradable)
- Lots of water
- Insect repellent
- Extra cash for souvenirs
- Your ID
- A hat or small umbrella to protect you from the sun
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Private premium transportation
- Pick-up and drop-off at the hotel lobby
- Delicious lunch buffet and soft drinks
- Toll road fees
- Swimming break at Maya cenote
- Introduction to the Maya and local culture on the way to the ruins
- Cold bottled water all day
- Traveler’s insurance — on board only
- If you booked complementary activities, all fees are included in the price.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- Life vest
- Alcoholic drinks